Participating in Help-Portrait is simple. All you need are a few essentials.
At minimum, you need:
- Ability to print (onsite, local store or online)
- people to shoot
This is not an oversimplification of the model. We, the creators of HP, have done many that were just that simple. We’ve also done some that are complex:
- Light kits
- Hair & Makeup
- Donated clothing
- Coffee – donated from Starbucks
- Printers – Donated from a local photography store
- Frames – Donated from local home store
- Photo Release forms
- Press announcement sent out to local news outlets
- Videographer to capture the day
- B-Roll photog to capture the behind the scenes
- And lots of people :)
People can come from lots of places. Here’s a list of where we’ve been most “successful” in serving large groups of people:
- Rescue mission
- Women’s health
- Halfway houses
- Recovery programs < this is very unique experience because so many of them deal with poor self-image issues
- Food kitchens
- Homeless organizations/ministries
It’s best to partner with organizations and ministries that have built relationship with the people you want to reach. This connection means less work in gathering and returning pictures…especially if you’re working with homeless people. It also means that they know how to communicate with them. This will save you a ton of time and energy!
Remember: it’s all about finding ONE person, printing A picture and delivering it to them. Really, this is enough. Anything beyond this is icing on the cake.
When you engage with people who are normally avoided or don’t have a positive self-image, you are giving them a gift that will mean more than you could ever imagine. Trust me. It’s a surprising experience, AND one of the most rewarding!