We recently announced some big changes to Help-Portrait. 1. We’re going to start showing the photos if the subjects want us to. 2. We’re going to have them draw and write on their actual photos and tell their stories. 3. We’re going to hand the cameras over and let them do some shooting.

I’m so excited to show you what this looks like, finally.

I ran a small Help-Portrait event Sunday in downtown Los Angeles at what’s known as “The toughest block in the U.S.” We were at the Union Rescue Mission at Skid Row. I’m new to LA and had no idea what to expect. But I was excited about trying all our new ideas this year: showing the photos, telling the stories ON the photos, having people sign model releases, handing the camera over, etc…

Here’s how each went:

Handing the camera over: Easy. No-brainer. They loved it. I had several people telling me about how they had wanted to be a photographer in the past but had to give up due to their situation. Their eyes lit up when I told them that they could be the photographer this time. It was a big deal and made me really excited to hand over my camera…

Showing their photos: Every single person happily signed a model release. (We’re absolutely okay if someone doesn’t want to. We will always respect and honor those wishes.) But each person was almost giddy at the idea of their photo being splashed on our website and on the Internet. In fact, some of them asked me to “promise” them it would go online. They asked for our web address and wanted to know when they could see themselves on the Internet (we’re working on a solution to that right now). Just like the photos themselves, this is also something we take for granted: having our photos online. It’s very special for someone to have a nice picture online that they can send to relatives, etc., especially in time for the holidays. This new direction was a big hit.

The stories on the photos. I printed at least two pictures of every image – one for them and one for us. For our picture, they wrote something ON the photo. I told them to write anything. Literally anything. Whatever the day meant to them, or whatever they wanted to say to the world or about themselves. This was their chance to speak their minds. I don’t have to explain how powerful this was. You can see for yourselves below.

With all these new additions, it made it very clear that this year is going to be more special than ever. I cannot WAIT to see the stories and photos that emerge from your events in a few weeks.

Til then!

Jeremy

Posted on Oct 25, 2011  |  Category: H-P Organizers, H-P Tips  |  51 Comments
  • em em

this is absolutely beautiful. so excited about this.
    em | 25/10/2011 5:00 PM

• adhit adhit

i love the idea, that's wonderful thing
    adhit | 25/10/2011 5:06 PM

• Dan Falvo Dan Falvo

Love it. !!!
    Dan Falvo | 25/10/2011 5:08 PM

• Ivona Ivona

I love this...love everything about it. The mother/daughter photo got to me...
    Ivona | 25/10/2011 5:09 PM

• victoria mitchell victoria mitchell

i can not wait to see the action here in Nashville! super pumped :)
    victoria mitchell | 25/10/2011 5:13 PM

• Dani Dani

God bless you all
    Dani | 25/10/2011 5:13 PM

• lise lise

beautiful!
    lise | 25/10/2011 5:17 PM

• david david

Great twist to a great project.
    david | 25/10/2011 5:19 PM

• Eric Eric

Awesome... what a great way to give back. Can't wait for this year!
    Eric | 25/10/2011 5:19 PM

• Heather Heather

What an awesome thing to do! Just made my day seeing this and the good you have done.
    Heather | 25/10/2011 5:19 PM

• Jack Jack

This is much more inspirational than thanking the photos and just giving it to them. I love it.
    Jack | 25/10/2011 5:34 PM

• Erin Erin

Amazing! How empowering.
    Erin | 25/10/2011 5:34 PM

• Andre Andre

This is awesome. Really looking forward to the big day!
    Andre | 25/10/2011 5:40 PM

• Sohail Khwaja Sohail Khwaja

most wonderful idea. Kudos.
    Sohail Khwaja | 25/10/2011 5:42 PM

• jana jana

amazing. so beautiful and powerful it made me cry. keep up the good work.
    jana | 25/10/2011 5:59 PM

• Kari Nichols Kari Nichols

I don't know any of these people, yet can't wait to see the next picture & read the writings of each one of them! You do such important things, and they're all based out of the perfect place in your soul!!! I would love to be a part of this someday soon!
    Kari Nichols | 25/10/2011 6:08 PM

• Tara Leigh Tara Leigh

This is incredible. I love their faith! So encouraged by the people in these photos.
    Tara Leigh | 25/10/2011 6:10 PM

• mightymission mightymission

Amen!
    mightymission | 25/10/2011 6:10 PM

• Gail Gail

The portraits tell part of the story, the messages tell more--wonderful idea!
    Gail | 25/10/2011 6:34 PM

• Leroy Skalstad Leroy Skalstad

With all the hardships that come from living on the streets the one thing I remember the most is the loss of individuality. Thanks Jeremy for helping raise awareness that each person is a unique soul. Leroy, Formerly homeless Vietnam veteran .
    Leroy Skalstad | 25/10/2011 6:46 PM

• Jorge Ivan Jorge Ivan

I am no longer associated with the photographer who introduced me to your project. I do remember however that there was an agreement with an entity that had agreed to donate 8 X 10 prints. It might have been Wallgreens. Is that still in place? I'm considering offering my services and recruiting make up people and maybe hair stylists but can't afford the printing costs. Please advise. Thank you.
    Jorge Ivan | 25/10/2011 6:49 PM

• We Could All Take A Lesson From JEREMY - Kari Nichols Photography We Could All Take A Lesson From JEREMY - Kari Nichols Photography

[...] recently read Jeremy Cowart’s post on HELP-PORTRAIT and was so incredibly inspired!  Recently, Jeremy ran a Help Portrait event at Union Rescue [...]
    We Could All Take A Lesson From JEREMY - Kari Nichols Photography | 25/10/2011 7:19 PM

• z. lynn z. lynn

Beautiful!
    z. lynn | 25/10/2011 7:44 PM

• Help Portrait 2011 « Portnoy Media Group Help Portrait 2011 « Portnoy Media Group

[...] This past Sunday Jeremy Cowart was working his magic for the next chapter of Help Portrait in 2011. In keeping with the tradition of Help Portrait from previous years they’ll be respecting the privacy of any and all who would like to have their portrait taken but this year they are asking those who are being photographed to share their story. Jeremy just posted an update with the vision for this years event – Check it here [...]
    Help Portrait 2011 « Portnoy Media Group | 25/10/2011 7:57 PM

• Jen May Jen May

It was definitely an incredible event--looking forward to doing it again on Dec 10th!
    Jen May | 25/10/2011 9:30 PM

• Stewart Uy Stewart Uy

For a few years now I"ve been taking portraits of the homeless people i've come across and was able to spend some time with. I love what you're doing here and I praise God for putting into your heart reach out to those who are looked over. I wish I had the materials to allow people to write on their photograph! That idea is genius!!!
    Stewart Uy | 25/10/2011 11:06 PM

• Daralynn Daralynn

This is awesome!
    Daralynn | 26/10/2011 12:53 AM

• Branden Harvey Branden Harvey

I love this.
    Branden Harvey | 26/10/2011 1:16 AM

• Ivan Boden Ivan Boden

Awesome.
    Ivan Boden | 26/10/2011 2:12 AM

• Scott Huck (@scotthuckphoto) Scott Huck (@scotthuckphoto)

this is fantastic! I can't wait to participate again this year!
    Scott Huck (@scotthuckphoto) | 26/10/2011 2:15 AM

• che roa che roa

SUPERB! <3
    che roa | 26/10/2011 2:17 AM

• Kathy Fulton Kathy Fulton

The BEST!! So inspiring and honest.....beautiful!!
    Kathy Fulton | 26/10/2011 3:44 AM

• Holly Holly

WOW....speachless.
    Holly | 26/10/2011 4:28 AM

• Richard Danter Richard Danter

Inspiring.
    Richard Danter | 26/10/2011 9:08 AM

• Teena McMichaelname* Teena McMichaelname*

LOVE IT !!!!! This is a wonderful idea! Whoever thought this one up deserves a medal. May this help many, mant ppl. And open the eyes of those who can help.message*
    Teena McMichaelname* | 26/10/2011 12:59 PM

• Mark Bush @ Catchlight Photography Mark Bush @ Catchlight Photography

I'd love to see this done in Evansville! Count me in!
    Mark Bush @ Catchlight Photography | 26/10/2011 1:10 PM

• Lilimar Lilimar

WOW!!! Amazing how much a stranger can teach you if you take the time to listen to their story.
    Lilimar | 26/10/2011 2:48 PM

• Connie Riley Connie Riley

GREAT pictures & stories of how GOD is working in their life. Thank you for sharing this. I want to help in DALLAS area, just day and time hasn't worked out. I want to take pictures. Blessings
    Connie Riley | 26/10/2011 3:43 PM

• Help Portrait Hosts Pre-Event at URM | Union Rescue Mission Help Portrait Hosts Pre-Event at URM | Union Rescue Mission

[...] information about Help Portrait and photos Please Click Here blog comments powered by Disqus [...]
    Help Portrait Hosts Pre-Event at URM | Union Rescue Mission | 26/10/2011 3:46 PM

• Wonderful Wednesday – Skip1, Steve Jobs, Love My Dress, » Alex Beadon Photography Wonderful Wednesday – Skip1, Steve Jobs, Love My Dress, » Alex Beadon Photography

[...] absolutely loving where “Help Portrait” is going, and what they have achieved so [...]
    Wonderful Wednesday – Skip1, Steve Jobs, Love My Dress, » Alex Beadon Photography | 26/10/2011 5:04 PM

• Thank You All Who Have Signed-Up! Thank You All Who Have Signed-Up!

[...] 1. These photos can NOT be used for your portfolio.  But we can share photos with the subjects story ONLY if permission is granted by the subject. Releases will be available. Stories can be shared here, on your personal blog, the official Help-Portrait site, etc as long as it abides by release rules (don’t portray the subject in a bad light, and remember these photos are to create a sense of worth so be careful with how you present them). You can find out more here: http://help-portrait.com/2011/10/the-future-of-help-portrait-2 [...]
    Thank You All Who Have Signed-Up! | 26/10/2011 6:32 PM

• Shannon McFerren Shannon McFerren

NOW I'm excited! This will touch them, but God will touch me more, I have a feeling.....
    Shannon McFerren | 26/10/2011 8:28 PM

• Juli L. Juli L.

This is so wonderful! Thank you to all of you for sharing. What beautiful people! :)
    Juli L. | 26/10/2011 8:40 PM

• Jenny Hansen Jenny Hansen

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! You guys are truly amazing! Such an inspiration!
    Jenny Hansen | 26/10/2011 9:02 PM

• Matt Carter Matt Carter

I loved seeing all of these photographs with each person's unique individual touch. Thank you for doing this. I know it's encouraging to not only the subjects of the photos, but also to myself and everyone who sees these images. Thank you for serving and glorifying God the way that you do through Help-Portrait!
    Matt Carter | 27/10/2011 5:57 AM

• Charlene Chavez Charlene Chavez

This is great to lift up their spirits and remind them they are people and that they matter no matter what their story is!
    Charlene Chavez | 27/10/2011 5:28 PM

• ~AR ~AR

Awesome! Love the idea! The personalization of the portraits is extremely moving! I'm going to talk this over with the other photographers that are doing the event I'm doing the H-P event with this year, and I know we're going to use some of these ideas! Great job! Do you happen to have a PDF of the release you used? Would make good resource material for the event.
    ~AR | 28/10/2011 7:37 PM

• Happy Monday – Fun Finds #8 « Tuuli Platner Photography Happy Monday – Fun Finds #8 « Tuuli Platner Photography

[...] Help Portrait is one of the best ways to use photography for good – and here’s the evidence. [...]
    Happy Monday – Fun Finds #8 « Tuuli Platner Photography | 31/10/2011 8:59 AM

• Stephanie D Stephanie D

All of these amazing photos made me cry. I love their stories and the new changes. Can't wait to be part of this amazing event this year!
    Stephanie D | 10/11/2011 9:34 PM

• Help-Portrait: Photographers giving back through photography « The View From Here– laurensouch.ca Help-Portrait: Photographers giving back through photography « The View From Here– laurensouch.ca

[...] become the photographer. The folk over at Help-Portrait did a mini event this past weekend, and the stories and photos shared on their blog are truly [...]
    Help-Portrait: Photographers giving back through photography « The View From Here– laurensouch.ca | 30/12/2011 5:44 PM

• Last week on The Collective… | Andy Bondurant Last week on The Collective… | Andy Bondurant

[…] Help-Portrait 2011 – Friend Jeremy Cowart has created a movement providing free images to those in need. Check out some big changes for the December 2011 event. […]
    Last week on The Collective… | Andy Bondurant | 04/12/2013 2:29 PM