Here are some ways you can help:
Led by the Somali community, the Neighbors Initiative is a relief effort in partnership with the American Refugee Committee. Somalis are not waiting for handouts; they are leading the relief efforts on the front lines and abroad, working toward a better future for Somalia.
- Donate to the Neighbors Initiative.
- If you have Groupon, you can give to the Neighbors Initiative when you Groupon with 4REAL Deal. 4REAL will match the 2.5 percent of your Groupons that go to the initiative.
- Text donations to the UN World Food Programme. In the U.S., text AID to 27722 to donate $10. In Canada, text RELIEF to 45678 to donate $5.
- Add your voice to the One campaign to urge governments to take action on immediate and long-term solutions.
- Support relief organizations.
- Keep up-to-date on Twitter at #HornOfAfrica.
Click here to see an interactive map showing the drought in the Horn of Africa.
Josh Thome is a creator of the TV series “4REAL,” which features young leaders around the world addressing some of the most critical issues of our time. Josh, who’s also an Explorer with National Geographic, invites the Help-Portrait community to join 4REAL, Bono, K’naan and thousands of others in supporting the Neighbors Initiative.